As many of you that follow me on facebook know, my dd is struggling with vocabulary and flying through everything else. So I decided to slow down and focus part of each day on vocab from both her science and grammar books as well as anything else that comes up.
We had started with the book suggested method of look up the definition and write it out. Good suggestion but, my daughter tends to not read as she is copying, and the more you make her write anything out, the more she shuts down. I still have her do this with new words because learning to use a dictonary is important, but I no longer expect her to retain anything from it.
I then moved on to making her worksheets: some sentences with a bunch of blanks and then a bank of words to fill them in. This went a little better. Unfortunately, there is no way I can keep up with the pace, and that is a whole lot of paper and ink.
I also had her create sentences for each word. This we will also use again but it is not enough for the amount of vocab we are learning.
So, tradition out the windows, I got out my word program and created many pages of note cards (I made ours business card size), printed them on some paper and laminated. ** strong suggestion here: make sure you set your printer to mark corners if you're not actually using perforated card paper. We had a long night of drawing lines and trying to figure out where to cut the cards.
Now for the fun! Here are the games we've played so far this week. I am planning to do a couple of posts with all the games we come up with.
For the first one I laid out all the cards we were learning on the table, in this case words from her grammar book. Words on the left and definitions on the right. I then gave her clothes pins to make sets out of the words. I took turns with her to make it seem more like a game, but if you have multiple kids I am sure that will not be an issue. She paired far more words than I gave her credit for. The couple that got confused happened to be synonyms, such as fly and soar.
For the other game I came up with this week, I had to dig out my old white board and tape the cards on. She then had to match them with a wipe off marker. I tried combining some she would know with some she could figure out when the rest were eliminated. If you do not have a spare wipe off board I would suggest taping them to the table and giving the kids some lengths of string/yarn to match them with.
This was an instant hit, and instead of avoiding her vocab box, she's trying to skip to it. Both of these made her read the cards many times to familiarize herself with the words. I also found her now using these words when we make sentences for our grammar work.
I have some new games up my sleeve for next week.